Event – Fashion – Travel – Food – Lifestyle
From February 21 – 24, 2013, over 250 independent contemporary artists showcased their creations at the 6th annual The Artist Project (#TAP13). Each art piece was carefully juried for this four-day art fair. Guests had the chance to meet and greet the artists at their booths.
This year’s show featured events such as the ‘Untapped Emerging Artist Competition’, giving emerging artists the opportunity to showcase their works at no cost; ‘The Faces Competition’ where artists were asked to create pieces of art based on their interpretation of ‘Faces'; seminars hosted by art experts such as Manny Neubacher, Anya Shor and Stephen Bulger to walk guests through how to collect and appreciate art; and much more.
The Opening Night Preview Party was held on Thursday, February 21, for VIP guests to preview and purchase art while enjoying live music and delicious eats. A portion of the ticket proceeds were donated to the Canadian Art Foundation. ( scroll to the bottom for full photo gallery)
11 Booths that really caught our eyes:
1. Three-dimensional sculpture by Eric Tardif, using ‘steam bending’ to mould wood into different shapes.
2. Paper-cuts by Christine Kim exploring themes of dust, light and shadow.
3. Works by Carlo Allion reflecting his unique style.
4. “Pornigami” by Harv Glazer.
5. Sculptures by Gosia bringing childhood imagination to life.
6. Night Shots by Sophie Hogan who collaborated with local teenagers to integrate their stories with her own childhood memories.
7. Samantha Sandbrook , incorporating paintings into interior decors.
8. Paintings by Mei Zi, inspired by ancient Chinese pots, real objects from thousands of years ago that she personally owns.
9. Works by emerging artist Kate Hogg, a series of hair-inspired pieces employing print, collage and thread.
10. Paintings by Judy Sherman , turning cartoon characters into Renaissance art.
11. Glass sculptures by Catherine Hibbits.